Wednesday 28 October 2009

I f****** hate Gillette

Time for a rant. I promised myself that I wouldn't swear on this blog but when it comes to this manufacturer of overpriced, gimmicky men's grooming products the number of expletives currently fighting to bounce off the tip of my tongue is almost unquantifiable. The main problem I have is their television advertising. Why do they feel the need to use words like 'turbo' and 'refuel' to sell their products? Do they feel the only way to get through to men is to mention words that might have something to do with cars? This kind of advertising may appeal to the average Top gear watching, socially challenged alpha-male or to those horribly 'driven' young businessmen, who 'play to win' and don't 'understand the word failure', but you can count me out! I hate to get all men's lib on you and granted, being a non-driving Smiths fan with little interest in traditional male pursuits (cars, sports, fighting) I'm probably not part of Gillette's target demographic but you can almost see the marketing meeting now. It makes me sick.

Imagine this, an idyllic Xmas morning, somewhere on the outskirts of London........

MUM: What did you get in your stocking Alan?
ALAN (late 20's): I got Jeremy clarkson's new book, a packet of Gillette razors, a guide to beating up Asian people and a bottle of Rohypnol, so I can rape to my hearts content! Thanks Grandma!
MUM: That's nice dear

No comments:

Post a Comment